Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Journal 5: Try Twitter

I’m not much of a social media user, intentionally; however, Twitter happens to be the only form of social media for which I have an account, and more actively engage.  I like Twitter, because it allows me to follow news and information, local, national, and international, as well as personal and professional interests.  And, it doesn’t bombard my email. 

I have used Twitter to get information on traffic, flight delays, professional conference schedules and updates, make complaints and praise positive experiences, and learn about family members and what they’re engaged in and thinking about.  What I find amazing is the prompt response that I usually receive on Twitter.  It’s not like the delayed response inherent with email.

Although it is highly unlikely that I would use Twitter to identify my location, due to safety and security issues, I think it’s an innovative way to follow the progress of a group project that you have a particular or vested interest in.

Hashtags are useful, but include subjective interpretations of the meaning one attaches to it. Often, I have to wade through much puzzling and unfamiliar information, in order to find what I feel is relatable. But it is also interesting to learn what others, around the world, apply to hashtags. 


I do believe that Twitter can be a viable tool in the classroom.  It excites and engages students, which is conducive to learning, and it also allows teachers an opportunity to stretch beyond what is familiar, and create new ways of teaching and learning.  So, it would appear that there is potential for everyone in the classroom, or even outside of the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I think you bring a valid point to light, when you say that you get a prompt response from Twitter. I feel that this is true with many of our social media apps that are in use now, even though email is also a tech savvy way to communicate, social media sites do seem to stem a quicker response time. I have even noticed from a business perspective that responses are quicker from their social media accounts than email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree with you about the prompt responses. Twitter is just another social media service, but people tend to be quicker to reply because there is no pressure. Oftentimes it feels like we have to put some effort into writing something like an e-mail, but since Twitter has a character limit people tend to be more willing to respond.

    ReplyDelete